What should I do if my sewer backs up?

Any residence or business experiencing a problem with the public sewer system is asked to notify the public works department by calling 651-773-9730 immediately-and before contacting a private drain cleaning service or in the event that the drain cleaning service needs to cut tree roots in the sewer line. Please note that many homeowner insurance policies exclude sewer back-ups and that Mahtomedi is only liable if the back-up was caused by the city's negligence.

Show All Answers

1. Are snowmobiles allowed on city streets?
2. Does Public Works pick up buckthorn?
3. Does the city have a forester that will inspect diseased trees?
4. How do I report a street light outage?
5. Is there anything I can do to prevent the back-up of a nearby storm sewer?
6. What are the winter parking regulations?
7. What should I do if my sewer backs up?
8. When will hydrants be flushed?
9. Where do I take household hazardous waste?
10. Who do I call to report a dead/sick wild animals in the road?
11. Who do I call to report a pothole, street sign down, or other maintenance issue?
12. Who do I call to request marking of utility lines before I dig in my yard?
13. Who do I call with questions on snowplowing operations?
14. Who should I call with a question on my septic system?
15. Do you have requirements for installation of mailboxes?